Saturday, May 31, 2014

My Joseph Smith Story: A letter to my family

“I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism is not true (Joseph Smith History 1: 20).” This line is one that is brushed over when people tell the Joseph Smith story. I also had not really thought of the significance of it until recent years, but I have thought upon it much in the past months.

What makes it so incredible is not what is said, as what is not said. Here was a young boy, 15 years old, going to his mother and telling her that he had discovered the religion she belonged to was not true. I find it amazing that Joesph felt comfortable telling her, but even more her lack of negative response. There is no record of yelling, or even confrontation; what is more, it seems Lucy Mack Smith even believed her son.
I cannot hope to possibly have the same level of understanding and support that Joseph Smith experienced from his family as I reveal this story, but I would ask that you proportion me at least some level of the understanding that must have been in Lucy Mack Smith’s heart that day when Joseph walked in and said, “I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism is not true.”

And so with that confidence in your love for me, I bravely venture forth.

I have learned for myself that Mormonism is not true. It was not an easy thing for me to find out or accept, and I do not expect it to be easy for you to accept that this is where I have arrived, but I promise you it cannot be much harder for you to accept me than it has been for me to accept this most bitter pill.
So the question remains, why have I done this?

Many aspects of Joseph Smith’s story still impress me, in particular his conviction in the face of opposition. Many of his friends and Church leaders he had known turned on him, but he stood by his convictions. “Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it (Joseph Smith History1:25).”

Martin Luther similarly declared in front of the diet of worms, “My conscience is captive… I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience.”

These men of valor have always impressed me. Regardless of how the world felt about their convictions, they stood by them, for they knew they were right. How could I, pretend to follow them when I was unwilling to do the same thing and stand by my convictions?

It is not in spite of what I was taught growing up in the church, but because of what I was taught that I must make this change in my life. I was taught valor, courage, integrity, honesty, and to value the truth above all else. I cannot and will not step away from those values. I have done so in the past, but I do not want to again and that is why I am writing this letter. That is why I am taking this stand. I don’t want to pretend to believe something I do not. Many probably do, but I am not one of those. I want to live a life of integrity. Of honesty. Of courage. There is nothing courageous about living what you do not believe in because society around you expects it of you. Do what is right let the consequence follow is what I sung, and still believe. There are no ends that justify the means. Honesty and integrity are the keys to happy life and I ask you to help me have those virtues.

Mormonism was for me Truth. That is what it always was. Nothing more, and nothing less. Joseph Smith said, “One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may.” Joseph also said, “Mormonism is truth…The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or … being … prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men.” Imagine the difficult position my own search for truth placed me in. My search to follow the words of Joseph Smith led me away from all I had known. Isolated me from my family, friends, and loved ones. It has not been easy, and I expect it to get more difficult. But I have known for some time I have needed to make this change, to follow the truth as I perceive it and do what I know is right or to follow societal norms of those around me.

On my mission I taught people to follow the truths I was taught from my childhood, and encouraged them to do what they knew in their hearts were right. I said they should follow the truth even if it meant changing habits, losing friends, and having to sacrifice relationships. These people were willing to leave all that they had known to follow the truth as I gave it to them. While I was on this mission I often wondered if I would have been as courageous as them; if I would have been willing to listen to random Americans and leave everything to follow the truth they taught. I always wondered and now have the opportunity to find out. For I have been “stopped in the streets” so to speak and learned truth. I know it and I know that I know it. I now need to finally decide.

I have put this choice off for far too long and have stayed in limbo for far too long. I want to be honest and open. Despite the many good aspects of the church and its members and the love I have for all those who embrace its creeds, I do not believe in what presently constitutes Mormonism or consider myself a current Mormon. I have made my decision. I have and will continue to seek truth and to follow it. I must finally do what is right and let the consequence follow, regardless of the relationships, friendships, connections, job prospects, or anything else I may lose. I must live a life of integrity. I must live my life to for myself and no one else!

So though I know you may disagree with my actions, at least I think you might be able to concur with my motives and desires to follow my principles and live honestly.

This is the first reason why I am stepping away. But that is not all. Perhaps if it was just that it would seem selfish to some extent. I don’t do this only for myself but also for others.

Stephen Covey has said that having continuity among our core beliefs and actions is a key to success. I concur completely, but it is even more than that, if we rob the world of the greatest gift we can give, namely ourselves.

I can no longer worry about whose sensibilities I am bothering, or what mask I am supposed to be wearing. I have spent far too many years of my life being the person the people around me expected me to be, and not being true to myself. William Shakespeare said, “To thine own self be true.” I have one gift to give this world. One gift alone. I have one life to give this one gift, and I can no longer avoid giving it. That gift is who I am.

This may sound like a cliché “be yourself” and all that. Clichés I have realized (for the most part at least) are statements that everybody knows are true, but nobody (or hardly anyone) understands or follows.

That is the number one reason why I made this decision. I leave with the hope that others in similar dilemmas might find the courage to follow the example I have set. That by doing so they may no longer live with the guilt and shame of being untrue to themselves and others.  

Now I know this letter may be difficult to accept. You may feel overwhelmed or even in shock. Though I truly feel sorry for the pain you are experiencing and can understand it completely, I do not apologize for what I have said. I stand by it. As Martin Luther said, “I cannot and will not recant!”

I thank you for taking the time to read these issues that I have been wanting to express for a very long time. This quote from Joseph Smith may be helpful, as you sort these things out in your mind and heart:

“I want the liberty of believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammeled. It doesn't prove that a man is not a good man, because he errs in doctrine.” – Joseph Smith

With love and appreciation for all the good things you have done for me throughout my entire life.

I remain your son and brother,


My Real Name

1 comment: